[vbox-dev] createBaseStorage() fails with VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER
Karoline Haus
2014-06-05 14:25:09 UTC
Hi I'm trying to create a virtual hard drive using the Python API.

I can successully create the IMedium object using IVirtualBox::createHardDisk() but then when I try to call createBaseStorage() on that object, I can an error saying "Error in module Medium (VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER)" but I do not get any further details on what the problem is.

According to the SDK documentation, the only error for this function should be if the medium format is not supported by my system ("The variant of storage creation operation is not supported."), but I am just trying to create a VDI disk, and when I list the HDD backends using VBoxManage, it is definitely supported. The path I'm trying to create the virtual disk under is also accessible and writable.

What else can the problem be? I do not seem to be able to dig deeper into this. I'm using the MediumVariant_Standard variant, so there is nothing special about this either.

Any pointers would be really appreciated.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
This is the very simple code that fails over and over again and I don't know how to fix it:

format='vdi'
diskImagePath='/home/user/test.vdi'
size=10000000

hdd = self.vboxMgr.vbox.createHardDisk(format, diskImagePath)
??????? try:
??????????? progress = hdd.createBaseStorage(size,
???????????????????????????????????????????? (self.vboxMgr.constants.
????????????????????????????????????????????? MediumVariant_Standard,))

This code throws an exception and tells me error code VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER as mentioned above. Any idea how to fix this?
It fails in createBaseStorage().

Thanks!

Post by Karoline Haus
[...]
Never wrote python, but it looks good. Can you simply confirm
that self.vboxMgr.constants.MediumVariant_Standard is given in an array?
(it looks like but not sure).
Else, the size needs to be a long, if such type exists in Python.
Post by Karoline Haus
[...]

What values do you get if you enumerate ISystemProperties::mediumFormats <https://www.virtualbox.org/sdkref/interface_i_system_properties.html#a3fddf22466361f98b6dc9fc4458d1049> ?

You're thinking too complicated... it's really an invalid parameter. The
trouble is the attempt to pass 10000000 to the logicalSize parameter
(which is arguably a bit underspecified and there could be a better
error message): it's impossible to create an image of this logical size
in any of the image formats I'm aware of, simply because they have a
minimum storage unit of 512 bytes. 10000000 (10MB by the SI definition)
isn't a multiple of 512.

VBoxManage createhd can't do this either (note that most people use the
--size option to specify the image size in MiBytes, which means that
this issue is hidden, but there's the --sizebytes option)...

Klaus
Karoline Haus