[vbox-dev] IFramebuffer resolution limits
Rūdolfs Bundulis
2014-09-18 14:15:10 UTC

another question on IFramebuffer and monitors, yesterday while playing
around with my headless implementation I saw that a guest Windows 7
actually offers resolutions up to 6400x1200 (I hope I remember correctly)
in the "Adjust Resolution" dialog, I assume that comes from the fact that I
always return supported as true in IFramebuffer::videoModeSupported (I
didn't actually check if resize to this mode would happen). This is also
quite interesting since then that would actually give me a way of having a
high resolution surface that I could internally split into 1920 x something
tiles. But at least from what I saw it looked like only the width was
large, not the height, I would have expected a 6400 x something (something
being in 16:9 or 4:3 proportion), can anyone advise me on are these modes
actually working and can I get a high 16:9/4:3 resolution mode?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

it is possible to add arbitrary custom resolutions using the
vboxcontrol.exe (from the guest additions):
This mode will then be available in the "Adjust Resolution" dialog.

Also you could try to set an arbitrary high resolution mode either from
the guest:
where screen = 0 is the primary display.
Or from the host using the VBoxManage controlvm setvideomodehint command.

Vitali
Hi,
Rūdolfs Bundulis