[vbox-dev] To handle natnetwork
Federica Renzi
2014-07-23 09:50:32 UTC
I have a question about natnetwork.
When a virtual machine is activated, its natnetwork processes start to run:

- /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD

- /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSVC

- /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP

- /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetNAT

Unfortunately, when that virtual machine is closed (and *no other vm which
use the same natnetwork is currently active*) those processes will be
closed too, causing connection fall.
There is some way to keep alive connection using API even while virtual
machine is closed?

I don't know If I explain correctly the problem...so I try again using my
personal example:

I create a netcat connection between my VM and another machine. Then, for
some reasons, I need to close in safemode the VM just for few seconds.
However, closing the VM, netcat connection fall.

How can I avoid that?
--
Federica Renzi
-------------- next part --------------
Hi Federica,
Post by Federica Renzi
I have a question about natnetwork.
- /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD
- /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSVC
- /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP
- /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetNAT
Unfortunately, when that virtual machine is closed (and *no other vm which
use the same natnetwork is currently active*) those processes will be
closed too, causing connection fall.
There is some way to keep alive connection using API even while virtual
machine is closed?
I don't know If I explain correctly the problem...so I try again using my
I create a netcat connection between my VM and another machine. Then, for
some reasons, I need to close in safemode the VM just for few seconds.
However, closing the VM, netcat connection fall.
How can I avoid that?
you are completely right, these services are automatically stopped when
the last VM who used this network terminates. I think

VBoxManage natnetwork start --netname NAME

should start the network and prevent autostopping. Though I didn't test
it yet...

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 M?nchen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht M?nchen, HRA 95603
Gesch?ftsf?hrer: J?rgen Kunz

Komplement?rin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Gesch?ftsf?hrer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher
Federica Renzi
2014-07-23 10:18:08 UTC
Hi Frank,
first of all thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately I already tested this option but It doesn't work...
Post by Frank Mehnert
Hi Federica,
Post by Federica Renzi
[...]
hello guys,
I'm wondering if It could be possible to add a feature (probably in
"advanced topic") which let us to remove auto shutdown for NAT network when
a vm is closed in safe mode.
What about?

What should I do to propose that officially?