[vbox-dev] A Dockerfile for building VirtualBox
Jon Seymour
2014-06-16 15:12:16 UTC
G'day,

This might be interesting to some people - a Dockerfile that will
builds the VirtualBox sources within a Docker container which contains
Ubuntu 14.04 and all the required build dependencies.

https://github.com/jonseymour/vbox-build

Suggested improvements can be listed here or as a github issue.

Regards,

jon seymour.
Andreas Löffler
2014-06-16 19:04:13 UTC
Hi Jon,

cool stuff! I already played around with Docker a bit (and built some
Dockerfiles myself) -- thanks for letting us know!

Andreas
Post by Jon Seymour
G'day,
This might be interesting to some people - a Dockerfile that will
builds the VirtualBox sources within a Docker container which contains
Ubuntu 14.04 and all the required build dependencies.
https://github.com/jonseymour/vbox-build
Suggested improvements can be listed here or as a github issue.
Regards,
jon seymour.
Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Gr??en

Andreas L?ffler | VirtualBox Engineering
Senior Software Engineer | Oracle Virtualization

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Schiffbauergasse 14
D-14467 Potsdam, Germany

Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 M?nchen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht M?nchen, HRA 95603
Gesch?ftsf?hrer: J?rgen Kunz

Komplement?rin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Gesch?ftsf?hrer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher

Green Oracle <http://www.oracle.com/commitment>
Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that
help protect the environment
Klaus Espenlaub
2014-06-20 10:58:32 UTC
Jon,
Post by Jon Seymour
G'day,
This might be interesting to some people - a Dockerfile that will
builds the VirtualBox sources within a Docker container which contains
Ubuntu 14.04 and all the required build dependencies.
https://github.com/jonseymour/vbox-build
Suggested improvements can be listed here or as a github issue.
Had a quick look (not very detailed), and generally it looks good.

Not terribly convinced that line 32 in the Dockerfile is the ideal solution:
RUN bash -c 'ln -sf $(cd /usr/src; ls -d linux-headers-*-generic | tail
-1) /usr/src/linux'

This looks very much like a hack for me. I can see that on a generic
build environment there's little point in depending on the running
kernel's version, but such symlinks can be causing other trouble.
Setting the KERN_DIR env variable sounds like the clean solution to me.

Klaus
Post by Jon Seymour
Regards,
jon seymour.