[vbox-dev] First test results ! (python bindings)
Alexey Eromenko
2014-10-07 19:41:59 UTC
Okay, I have patched VBox 4.3.16 (latest stable) with python 3 patches
from here:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=64030

And hurray it builds ! (after disabling java bindings)

Host: Debian Linux 8 x64 BETA
This host has both python 2.7 and python 3.4, both x64, installed.

Problem is: python2 works so far, but python3 doesn't initializes.
(python 2.7.was tested for VM start/stop and networking)

$ python3
Python 3.4.2rc1+ (default, Sep 30 2014, 00:30:30)
[GCC 4.9.1] on linux
from vboxapi import VirtualBoxManager
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named 'vboxapi'
I have build a kmk packing.
root at portege-d8:/opt/VirtualBox#

Looking at files:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 229400 Oct 7 22:21 VBoxPython2_7.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 229400 Oct 7 22:21 VBoxPython.so

python3 is nowhere to be found.

-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"
Alexey Eromenko
2014-10-11 08:35:12 UTC
Did anyone made a working python 3 bindings?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Alexey Eromenko
Did anyone made a working python 3 bindings?
Problem is: since python3 bindings don't seem to compile, I have
stopped testing.
(i.e. the patch only doesn't break python2 so-far)

Anyone got it to work with python3 ?
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"
Ilya Kulakov
2014-10-13 07:39:06 UTC
Sorry guys, completely missed all your emails :) I?m the author of that python 3 patches.
The vboxapi module itself is ported. The problem is with the XPCOM component.
It is used to access API from python on other platforms.

I will gladly work on if there will be any demand.
I just need a list of tests I can use to test bindings from the oracle team.

See https://github.com/GreatFruitOmsk/vboxapi-py3 or contact me directly.
If you represent a company that can pay for my time, you have a chance to significantly speed up the process ;)
Alexey Eromenko
2014-10-13 07:55:49 UTC
Basically, what I intend to test is
1. Creation of a VM
2. Attaching hard disk
3. Run/pause/stop VM
4. Network

I intend to test both python 2.7 and python 3.x.
Plus I will test python 2.4 on RHEL5 host, if Oracle provides me with a
build. (Building Vbox on RHEL5 is tricky)
And yes, both MS-COM and XPCOM are important, and interesting for me.